for 16 servings
- 8 tablespoons butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon red food coloring, (or customize it with other colors)
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg, vanilla, and salt.
- Mix in flour.
- Make the dough into a ball and cut into two halves.
- Add food coloring to one half of the dough, working it in until evenly mixed.
- On a large cutting board covered in plastic wrap, use a rolling pin to roll out each piece of dough to make two 12x9-inch (30x22 cm) rectangles. Tip: Place wax paper over the dough while rolling to keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
- Take the colored dough rectangle and place it over the other regular dough rectangle.
- Use the plastic wrap under the regular dough rectangle to help you roll the two rectangles up.
- Fill a flat dish or baking pan with sprinkles. Roll the dough around it until the outside is completely coated.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the dough into ¼-inch slices and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until blonde.